California Educator

April/May 2024

Issue link: http://educator.cta.org/i/1518807

Contents of this Issue

Navigation

Page 25 of 61

Vaness Rodas Romero, United Teachers of Richmond, went back to work six weeks after giving birth in 2016. "I did not have any wiggle room since I couldn't afford it and had to use all my sick leave in order to collect disability." "My pregnant self running around on graduation day to assist with graduation practice and all other counseling responsibilities in May 2023," explains Lissenia Marquez, East Side Teachers Association, of this photo when she was eight months pregnant. CTA members Gina Whipple, Rachel Merino-Ott, CTA Board Members Wendy Eccles and Grant Schuster, Asm. Monique Limon, CTA member Luciano Ortiz. CTA Board Member Greg Abt, CTA members Renee Pena and Susan Abt, Asm. Al Muratsuchi. "As a Women's Studies teacher, I talk to my students about the disparity between male and female teachers regarding the 'maternity penalty.' It does affect retirement and women shouldn't be penalized for bringing future generations into the classroom!" —Jessica Jacobs, teacher, Tahoe Truckee Teachers Association 24 cta.org Feature

Articles in this issue

Links on this page

Archives of this issue

view archives of California Educator - April/May 2024