California Educator

February/March 2024

Issue link: http://educator.cta.org/i/1515721

Contents of this Issue

Navigation

Page 7 of 59

L I S A S I M P S O N ' S blissful smile in this meme, origi- nally posted by Wisconsin AFL-CIO, says much about the delight and satisfaction found in eating ice cream. More importantly, of course, it reflects the happiness at winning a union contract that gives workers the dignity and respect they deserve. Such are the emotions experienced by the charter school educators in our cover story, "e Power & Joy of the First Contract" (page 22), as they came together or are organizing now to win first contracts that allow them to do their best work for their students. Collec- tively in their unions, they are pushing for basic rights and protections that most public school educators have the moment they are hired. LaTonya Pye is one of 36 ESPs officially recognized as East Bay Educators United members in late Decem- ber who are preparing to negotiate a first contract. Her excitement is palpable. "I never imagined we would go from zero to fully filed in a single semester," she says. "It's a testament to our organizing committee." (Pye is on the committee.) Organizing to win is the through line for much of the content in this issue. In "Equity Means Everyone" (page 30), an inclusive Big Bargaining Team led United Educators of San Francisco educators to a historic vic- tory — and greater unity within their ranks. "What Can You Do?" (page 29) is a new video that celebrates hard- won gains by Sacramento City Teachers Association in 2022, after years of disrespect from the school board and superintendent. SCTA and community and labor allies' eight-day strike and successful effort to overturn the board resulted in the superintendent's resignation. Auburn Union Teachers Association ("A Win for Diversity, Equity, Inclusion," page 37) and multiple locals across the state ("Bargaining Update," page 42) demonstrate the power of orga- nizing union members as well as members of the community. is was also clear at Glendale Teachers Association's January news conference ("A Community for Everyone," page 39), when health care workers, community groups, parents, students and local and state lawmakers joined GTA to fight back against anti-LGBTQ+ hate and disinformation that has plagued their community over the past year and half. As unionists have long known, there is indeed strength in num- bers — and in including all voices, from within the union and from partners and allies who share our values. That strength and unified voice will be needed this election year. Pye, for one, is all in. "I'm new to this and there's a lot to learn, but there's so much power! is is just the beginning — we're looking for- ward to many more wins!" So are we. Katharine Fong E D I T O R I N C H I E F editor@cta.org Ice Cream for All Your Vote Is Your Voice Make your voice heard! Vote in the March Primary on March 5. Know that when you follow CTA recommendations, you are voting to support our students, schools and colleges. Go to Page 15 or cta.org/election for CTA recommendations on candidates and important initiatives, and create your personalized voter guide at cta.yourvoter.guide. 6 cta.org E D I T O R ' S N O T E

Articles in this issue

Links on this page

Archives of this issue

view archives of California Educator - February/March 2024